September 28, 2009

Settling?

Some boys just don't take a hint. Friday a week ago I was driving home from work when who should call but the one-hit-wonder (OHW) boy. I'm not going to lie my first thought was to ignore the call but then I decided that would just lead to more calls and I might as well just get it over with so I answered.

OHW- so I figured that since I haven't heard from you in a week that means you probably decided not to take me up on the 5-date compromise. I just had to call and ask though, I mean when your future is on the line you have to find out
Me- Sorry about that, I thought it over quite a bit and I just don't think this is a good idea. I feel like I would just be wasting your time and money by letting you take me out
OHW- How is that wasting time and money? you are an amazing girl and together we are an amazing couple and I think the future could be endless for us.
Me- I appreciate you calling and thank you for thinking I'm that amazing but there are other girls out there that will be even better for you
OHW- I know that but I would be ok with you
Me- yeah, sorry this just won't work out.
OHW- well if you change your mind I'll always be here and if you ever have an emergency you can call me. I want to hear all about your triathlon tomorrow
Me- oh well, they had to shorten the swim portion so I'm sure it will be great. Good luck with everything

So that he called to find out if he had a chance I can respect. I know that one of the worst things is wondering "what-if" but I think that the other half of making that call is knowing that if the answer is no it just has to be no and because you are the one that brought it up you can't be a jerk about it if the person you called is being nice. Telling me that he knows there are better girls out there but he's ok with me really came across as he'd settle for me, not exactly the romantic-win-my-heart kind of comment I'm sure he was going for.

I did not call to tell him the triathlon results either. I think a clean finish is good, especially since we weren't friends to begin with.

No comments: